Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Stitches are Removed - Listen to Hunches

Last Saturday, 31 May 2009, I played softball for the first time since 1985. I was not a very good player then; and have only gotten worst. The game followed a meeting of a national board of directors I serve on, we met in Olathe, KS.

After taking infield practice we chose teams, just like childhood on the play ground, I was chosen last. The last batter was at the plate, hitting a towering fly ball. I charged in from my second base position to make the catch. My hunches kept saying, 'let it go,' due to the ball moving around from back spin. My competitive nature told my hunches to be quiet; I firmly believe winning is not everything, however it is right up there with oxygen - necessary for life :). Unfortunately I listened to my competitive nature instead of my hunches. As the ball rapidly came down I looked into the sun; losing the ball for a moment, my glove jabbed at where the ball should be - it was not. I then saw the ball again, 3 feet away, 2 - 1 - booooom!!! hitting me squarely between the eyes.

Virtually any other time someone asks if I am 'all right', the immediate response is 'YES'. This was not virtually any other time, this time I adamantly responded, 'NO!' as blood gushed from my forehead. If only I had listened to my hunches, letting the ball go, swallowing my pride.

Jana, the wife of the batter, and Kevin, a fellow board member, drove me to the emergency room of Olathe Medical Center. Unlike television and the movies, one is not rushed in to see medical personnel in the emergency room. Evidently blood coming out of one's head is considered rather normal. The professionals were very friendly once I did receive attention.

During the next three hours I received a CAT scan, revealing nothing abnormal and seventeen (17) stitches, 12 exterior, connecting my eye brows.

Friday the exterior stitches were removed, appears full recovery will occur; leaving no permanent scar. I will recall the consequences of ignoring my hunches.

Driving home late at night after the incident, I received hunches at two (2) different moments. The first time I saw a deer crossing the road in front of me, I honked the horn alerting any other deer to stay off the road. Several miles later, I received another hunch to slow down; even though logic lacked from this hunch, I listened. A few seconds later, the headlights revealed two (2) deer standing in the middle of the highway. Once again, I sounded the Town Car's horn, the deer jumped and spun around; disguising their direction to run. Yes, deer apparently can run the single wing offense!

I temporarily thought my streak of missing deer was about to end. For over 15 years I have prayed for the Lord to protect me while I drive, including keeping any and all animals off the road. I quickly responded with faith, reassuring God keeps his promises of protection if we ask and are obedient. In an instant I gave thanks for his protection, reason delayed revealing how I was to miss these deer. Somehow with the deer's hooves slipping, their bodies spinning and the Town Car somehow maneuvering; all escaped unscathed.

One Saturday I ignored my hunches, paying dearly for doing so. The following Saturday I listened to my hunches, at least in that moment, allowing me to avoid wrecking my car.

Have you, like me, found your hunches are equally accurate in guiding you in business and relationships? When we listen, success occurs despite the challenges, when ignored damage is often acquired. Fortunately with proper care the damage can be restored if we acknowledge our mistakes. Are you, like me, tempted to ignore your hunches for immediate personal gain instead of listening, gaining long term victories?

What are our hunches? I cannot speak for everyone in every situation, however I find these hunches are the voice of the Holy Spirit guiding me. The hunch, or voice, reminding me obedience to his Word will always lead to the victories he has for me. Listening to this voice will also lead to God's victories in your life. The best way to assure of hunches being the voice of the Holy Spirit is being in scripture and prayer continually.

Your hunches may defy logic, you may wonder how it will work out, just like seeing the deer on the highway.

I will probably stay off the softball field for another 24 years, however I will be constantly reminded of hunches to:

Listen - Obey - Trust

I am thankful God loves me enough to allow me being hit squarely between the eyes with a softball to remind me of this critical lesson.

God has Great Plans for you Each and Every Day!

Make it a Great Day in Christ!
Rick E. Meyer

www.rickemeyer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment