Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sever the Cause

“If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body, than for all your body to go into hell.” Matthew 5:29-30

Frequently, this verse is used as an illustration in arguing against the strict interpretation of scripture. Before we continue, please do not gouge out your eye, or cut off your hand.

Christ’s statement is common sense: If indeed my hand or eye was the root cause of sin, causing my eternal damnation, I would rather live 100 years on earth with out a hand or eye than eternity in hell. Would you agree?

Once as a young child, while staying with my grandmother, I walked downtown to a store, and entered the candy aisle. My taste buds leaped with joy, each time a ‘Smarties’ candy entered my mouth. I decided to purchase a few ‘Smarties,’ they cost a penny back in the mid-1970s; and I had several cents in my pocket.

Suddenly, my mind was bombarded with the idea of placing a couple of ‘Smarties’ in my pocket just to see if I could do so without getting caught. I am naturally competitive; the mental bombardment said, “you are doing nothing wrong, you are not stealing; rather competing against the store owner.” I ignored the Holy Spirit saying, “This is wrong.”

Ashamedly, instead of rejecting this idea of stealing, contradicting the Holy Spirit and scripture, I validated the idea as I pondered possible strategies. Eventually, I convinced myself that I was not stealing, but competing. I placed two packages of “Smarties” in my pocket and paid for the other two. As I walked out the door, I was initially gratified of my ‘victory.’

Later that night, when back home with my parents, the Holy Spirit convicted my heart with guilt. Fortunately, I now listened to this conviction. I asked my mother to come up to my room, I was afraid to tell my dad. I cried as I told Mom of my crime, and yes, I had to tell Dad also. I agreed to return to the store next time in town, apologizing for my theft and pay for the ‘Smarties.’ I was ashamed of myself, but very grateful the Holy Spirit loved me enough to convict my soul with guilt.

Did I cut off my hand, or gouge out my eyes, or cut off my taste bud containing tongue for the role they each contributed in this crime? Perhaps I should chop off my legs, because without the ability to walk I would not have been in the store. No, I avoided any bodily dismemberment. These bodily parts did not cause me steal. What did cause me to steal? I ignored the Holy Spirit’s conviction, and I entertained ideas incongruent with scriptures. My errant thinking caused this sin!

The above scripture tells us we must cut off the cause of our sin. I have cut off this errant thinking. I strive for obedience to the Holy Spirit’s voice of guidance and conviction. I sever any thoughts attempting to justify living outside of the Word of God; I do not meditate on thoughts saying, “The Bible does not really mean…..” I cut off any thoughts saying, “It is okay to lie, steal, cheat, swear, hold a grudge, etc in this situation, because the writers of scripture did not understand today’s world.”

What is the cause of your sin, your thoughts of disobedience to scripture? Is it: viewing certain literature, movies, websites, or attending night clubs, bars, or associating with a particular person or group of people? Whatever is the cause of your sin; sever those relationships. Obviously, do not harm another person, for no other person causes you to sin. However, if you tend to sin when around a certain person: Avoid that association.

I have never again stolen ‘Smarties’ since cutting out corrupt thoughts. Common sense tells us we are better to live in absence of temporary pleasures provided by wrongful thoughts and associations than eternity in hell.

Cut out anything in your life hindering your relationship with Jesus Christ! Anything causing to you live in disobedience to scripture should be cut off, separated from your life.

Thoughts attempting to justify wrong behavior are strong. We must faithfully remain in scripture and prayer for permanent separation, permanent severing.

Replace sinful thoughts with scripture. Replace former friendships and associations with those who point toward Christ and scripture.

Talk with Christ, Walk with Christ, and Achieve with Christ!

Make it a Great Day in Christ!
Rick E. Meyer

Rick Meyer Speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment