Thursday, March 13, 2014

Ask + Seek + Knock

After graduating from college, I moved to Kearney, NE to work as a crop consultant. I quickly met Lyle Claussen, the head cross country and track coach at University of Nebraska--Kearney (UNK); along with several runners including Bryan Danburg, Joe Schumm and Jim Ballinger.


In the fall, I trained with the UNK cross country team which proved one of the best men's teams in the nation. I ran with the team members as well as Coach Claussen, learning much about running while touring the country roads surrounding Kearney.


My fitness level greatly increased over the next six months as I logged up to eighty miles per week. During a mid-February Sunday afternoon run, I announced my plans to run 100-miles this week. Lyle, in his gentle nature, strongly suggested that I remain consistent at seventy weekly miles.


In an effort to epitomize stupidity, I ignored the advice of a future Hall of Fame coach who also ran over twenty marathons in the 2:20s, including a personal best of 2:20:11, along with a 29:40 10K on hilly course. I ran the 100-miles, complete with a fast Friday interval session on the Kearney High School track. I felt terrific! "What does this guy know!?"


Sunday afternoon, a group of us exchanged stories and laughs during a 12 or 14-mile run. Suddenly, lacking any warning, a tendon flared-up on the top of my right foot.


Upon mentioning this to Coach Claussen, he calmly responded, "Well, that happens sometimes when we try to over do it in training."


Because I ignored the advice and wisdom of a proven coach, telling him how I desired to train instead of asking, I became injured. This cycle repeated itself several times over the next three years. Yes, I am a slow learner!


When I began to listen and respond to his wisdom and advice, my running performances escalated.


My above foolishness remains embarrassing all these years later. Yet, how many of us engage in a similar relationship with God? Have or do you believe our desires for your life exceed God's desires for your life? I have! This carries greater stupidity because He is God who created everything, including you and me.


However, the "Prosperity Gospel" preachers, their disciples and those of us who simply fail to know any better, often recite Mt 7:21, with strong, if not directly, implications that if/when you and I simply ask, seek and knock, God will quickly provide our stated desires.


This passage mandates you knowing/seeking Christ (Jn 10:25-30) and engaging with the indwelling Holy Spirit (Ro 8:5-9; 8:16). We then desire the will of the Father (Mt 7:21), as Christ instructs for us to prayer and practices himself (Mt 6:8-15; 26:36-39; 26:40-42).


To knock and have the door opened, we must know where to knock. Knocking on the doors of idols, opens only the doors of idols.


Who among us believes to have equal or greater wisdom than God? When in communal relations with God, we recognize His eternal wisdom and our grossly finite thoughts. We then instantly ask, seek and knock for His will, His desires fulfilled in our lives, instead of our own.

Are you asking, seeking and knocking in relationship with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit? Ro 5:1-5; Ro 8:26-28 provides insight and hope on asking and seeking God's wisdom and will (Heb 2:4).

When you do and obediently listen and respond to Christ's commands, your life will escalate. Challenges will remain, yet you will prosper spiritually, emotionally, relationally and perhaps in other areas as well.

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ!
Rick E. Meyer
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment