Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Your Word is Your Worth -- August 2017


Your Word Reflects Your Heart, Your Character
 On a cold January night I suddenly stood in the kitchen with the telephone receiver in my hand visiting with my cousin Bruce. I did not remember hearing the phone ring about 11:00pm nor waking-up to take the call. About an hour earlier I had drifted into a deep sleep on the couch while reading an assignment for one of my college classes.



Bruce proudly shared that he and his wife, Janet, were new parents to Brent. After gathering my senses, I congratulated him on the birth of his son and thanked Bruce for calling. Bruce quickly acknowledged, "I told you that I would call. I gave you my word."

Yes, Bruce gave his word seven months earlier while we conversed in the middle of a cornfield. Upon hearing Bruce share the news in June that he and Janet were expecting their first child, I asked him if he would call me when the child was born. He replied "Yes".



His promise required nor received any future discussion until that frigid January night of Brent's birth. Over the years, Bruce has given his word on promises or commitments on hundreds of occasions, only one time for each promise. He fulfills his promises on time, whether hours, weeks, months, or years after the giving his word! Is it possible that he has made mistakes? Absolutely! I also make mistakes and I bet you do too. Yet his character results in consistent integrity.

Bruce is a man of his word! Are you a man or woman of your word? My grandparents, who welcomed the president of the world's largest seed corn company into their home to discuss business, would often say “a person is only as good as their word.” Your words reflect your heart, your inner-man, which is your character.



Peter said to Him, “Explain the parable to us.” Jesus said, “Are you still lacking in understanding also? But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.



For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications (sexual immorality), thefts, false witness, slanders. These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man.” (Matthew 15:15-16,18–20)



Bruce could have used a multitude number of excuses for not calling or offered no excuses and made no phone call.

His excuses could have included such things as:

¨ Forgetting,

¨ It was too late for a phone call,

¨ He did not know or lost my phone number

¨ He considered my request a joke

¨ I should not to have believed him in the first place

 After all it had been seven months since we stood in the cornfield when I requested this call.


If Bruce had been an attorney, perhaps he would have noted the absence of a signed contract mandating the phone call. He was not legally bound to place that call or to keep his word. However, Bruce intuitively knows he gave something more valuable and binding than a document approved by one thousand of the world's top attorney's.

Bruce gave his word.



Fulfilling your word reflects your inner-man, your character, your soul, your relationship with God. The prudence of a Christ-centered heart mandates seeking wisdom and discernment about a situation before we give our word.

Once our word proceeds from our mouth, our response correlates with the foundation our heart, our inner-man. Consequently, we seek and do everything that is legally, morally, and ethically necessary to deliver our promise.



Have you considered the binding power of Jesus’ spoken word? Jesus’ words healed the sick, blind, and paralyzed. Jesus’ spoken word rebuked the wind and the Pharisees. Jesus’s spoken word raised Lazarus from the dead.



Scripture does not state nor indicate to the wildest imaginations that before Jesus spoke miraculous claims he first said, “Hold on folks. We need to draw up a contract before the water becomes wine, the paralytic is able to walk, or the blind can see.” He simply spoke his word.



Yes, God did write the ten commandments on stones and He did speak through His people to write out the Bible. However, that was for the benefit of our memory and learning instead of the necessity for a binding contract.


All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; (2 Timothy 3:16)



Whatever you do in life do all to the glory of God (Colossians 3:17), which includes doing everything in your power to use wisdom and discernment in giving your word followed by everything in your power to keep your word. Yes, your power includes seeking God through His word and in prayer.



In my new book, Running on Faith: Timeless Principles for Winning Life’s Marathon,

I discuss the effect the value of your word has on your running.

 In my new book, Running on Faith: Timeless Principles for Winning Life’s Marathon, I discuss the effect the value of your word has on your running.

Available on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/1548976318
 “Your words "We must remain..." will forever stay with me. Thank you for sharing these powerful words in your book.” 

“This book has challenged my thinking with new ideas, reminding me of forgotten principles, and recognizing lessons that I had not previously considered.” 

“I got your book on Saturday... There is much to think about and ponder…. Thank you for writing a book to challenge my faith and beliefs!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment