Monday, December 28, 2009

Confess and Refresh

December 28, 2009

This is certainly a white Christmas! The eastern one-half of Nebraska experienced a blizzard last week, closing most of the highways in the eastern one-third of the state. Yesterday, Sunday, most highways re-opened; including Interstate 80. This morning, I drove the 140 miles from my mother’s home in south central Nebraska to Albion. I do not know the exact amount of snow in Albion, estimates range from 15 – 18 inches.

My driveway was covered in snow, the drifts deepening to three feet by the street. Consequently, the first order of business involved starting the snow blower, dozing through the deep drifts by the garage door; before starting on the drive. Two hours later, the driveway was opened and the car parked safely off the street in the drive.

I then transferred luggage and Christmas presents from the car to the house; the tea kettle began boiling water for a cup of rich hot chocolate. The refreshing, tantalizing, aroma of the hot chocolate filled the house’s interior atmosphere, including pulsating alerts to my sensory system. Suddenly, I realized: my breath was atrocious!! Grabbing my suit case, I dashed up the stairs, opening as quickly as possible. I then reached for the tooth paste and tooth brush; brushing my teeth and refreshing my breath. Instantly, I felt like a new man!

My breath did not instantly deteriorate; rather the fresh, aromatically pleasing air, alerted my senses of my breath being unacceptable. Have you ever experienced this occurrence?

Similarly, worshipping, praying, reading scripture and associating with other believers of the inerrant Word of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; alerts our souls of our sinful nature. Upon this sometimes instant recognition of sin in our life; we rush to confess our sin. Upon confession, the Holy Spirit immediately refreshes our soul.

This sin, like the bad breath, had been around for awhile; however like breathing the fresh aroma; breathing the Word of God, alerted us of our atrocious traits. You and I are easily rid of bad breath with proper hygiene activities. We are also able to quickly rid ourselves of sin in our life. The Holy Spirit convicts our hearts, alerting us to the sin. We must simply allow, through confession and belief, Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection permanently remove our sin: God says he casts our sins as far as the east is from the west.

Blizzards may close highways and cities, however the power of Holy Spirit and the forgiveness of sins by Jesus Christ will be in your heart regardless of any external or internal storms in your life or surroundings.

“For unto is born this day in the city of David, a Savior – Jesus Christ.”

In Christ,
Rick E. Meyer
www.rickemeyer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment