Monday, December 7, 2009

Vision

Last Saturday, 28 November 2009, I stood visiting with a former classmate, Stephen. We patiently waited in the concession line during halftime of Smith Center’s State Championship game. After standing for a few minutes, I realized two other former schoolmates were standing next to Stephen during our entire visit. Shawn and Barry were a year ahead of Stephen and I at Gaylord Grade School; they were also starters on Smith Center’s inaugural football championship team in 1982. As you know, it is always good to see old friends. However, I simply did not look up, Shawn is several inches taller than me, or around at Barry. I nearly missed an opportunity to visit with these gentleman.

How often do we miss opportunities right next to us, because we fail to look up and around from our current position in life?

Ironically, three years previously, 28 November 2006, I stood beside my dad as he lie in his hospital bed at about 7:00 PM. I had spent several minutes praying for his health to return, then moved from his right side of the bed to his left side. He had not spoken all day as he slept. He awakened and spoke to me the first time since my initial visit at 11:00 AM: “Good bye,” while he extended his hand to mine for a handshake. I thought my optimism was annoying him as I shook his hand replying, “Good bye.” That was the last visit with my dad on this earth, three days later he died about 20 minutes before my arrival. I quickly realized what he truly meant with, “Good bye.”

How often do we miss interpret the full meaning of someone’s message because our vision, our perspective, is too narrow?

I must remember to look up and around for nearby opportunities, and have greater vision, and perspective to more fully understand the messages of family, friends, and professional peers.

Make it a Great Day in Christ!
Rick
www.rickemeyer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment