Monday, June 20, 2011

Healthy Diet

I surpassed 107,000 miles of lifetime running last week, perhaps more. Update: I have now surpassed 121,000 miles and not had the flu since February 2007.
This originated ponderings of comments over the years; especially in regard to my diet. What is a healthy diet?

For many years, and by numerous people, I am told that my diet lacks ‘healthy’ food. Ironically, most who condemn my eating habits possess more body fat, are sick at least once, usually several times, per year. I realize there are probably some who are healthier than I am, yet my body seems to do okay.

The flu bug has conquered me four times since December 1991. With one exception in 1999, my blood pressure and cholesterol remain low. When my diet was most heavily condemned, I was 2.5% body fat; and ran over 100 weekly miles. During a two and one-half year span of heavy training, injury was avoided by prayer, belief, faith and confession of scripture.

Yet, society says I eat and live in an unhealthy manner. The obvious question: How does one define or obtain healthy food? Healthy food is like good deeds, mankind’s efforts make neither good nor bad. Food and deeds are healthy and good when submitted to Christ. Seeking and receiving Christ’s blessings on our food, creates a healthy diet; beneficial exercise and deeds.

Christ tells Peter that all food made by God is good. Unhealthy diet, exercise and deeds exist when we seek our own glory, believing our secular choices create healthy lifestyles. Years ago, many ‘experts’ including the media condemned high fat, high cholesterol diets.

Great-Aunt Ruth Douglass, my grandmother’s sister, delivered food to the shut-ins and remained active into her early 90s. Once when about 92 years old, Aunt Ruth quipped, “This eating bacon and eggs everyday and cooking with lard my whole life is sure killing me at a young age.” Her trademark smile possessed its glowing beam while speaking.

Aunt Ruth entered heaven a few weeks before her 97th birthday. What is the secret to Aunt Ruth’s heath? She requested the Lord’s blessing on her food, thoughts and deeds every day. The Lord provided her health!

Health is less about the years we live, rather the achievements garnered. Do you desire excellent health? Submit your food, thoughts and deeds to the Lord, requesting his blessing on all you eat, think and achieve.

I must go for a run! I pray the Lord blesses this and all runs, along with the food I eat and thoughts before, during and after the run. This has been the key to health and the missing factor when struggling, since my competitive running began June 1978.

Be healthy, Seek the Lord!

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ!

Rick E. Meyer
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.
http://www.rickemeyer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment