Sunday, July 3, 2011

Judging

Mt. 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”

Frequently when driving, I get upset with other drivers; particularly the fast maniacs and the slow pokes. Of course, this is all relative to my driving the ‘perfect’ speed of three or four miles an hour over the speed limit. If only other drivers were as perfect as me! Do you share this attitude whether driving, performing a task at work, or volunteering?

I fail to consider the reason others are speeding more than I am; perhaps they are taking someone to the hospital, or hurrying to assist someone in danger. Maybe they are in deep thought; their cruise control does not work, and have no idea of their speed. A plethora or reasons exist for those speeding as well as the ‘slow pokes.’ Perhaps the ‘Slow poke,’ is returning from the hospital where a family member just passed away. Maybe they too are in deep thought or enjoying a good conversation with a passenger.

I am wrong in judging them as maniacs or slow pokes; as I do not know the reason for their chosen speed. Does this allow each of us to avoid and disregard the speed limit and rules of the road? Of course not! Driving laws and speed limits are implemented for travelers’ safety. Following them enhances our chance of traveling safely for many years.

Ultimately, I am judging the creators of the speed limit as ineffective when I intentionally speed, or encourage others to disregard the speed limit. Fortunately, the Sheriff, deputies and State Patrol are forgiving when I exceed the speed limit by 1/100th MPH or 4 MPH. However, if they continually heard me condemning others breaking the speed limit; they would give me a ticket every time I exceeded the limit.

The Bible is full of examples of Jesus, Apostles and Disciples proclaiming the “Speed Limit,” this proclamation is different than judging others. Judging others is lifting us and our sinful behavior as acceptable and theirs as condemnable.

Just as we are to avoid condemning others, we are also to avoid condemning the laws and the Creator of laws. We are to avoid intentionally living outside of the law, and encouraging others to live outside the law.

Fortunately, God through Christ’s death and resurrection forgives us every time will break his laws. However, scripture states that if we condemn others of their mistakes; he will condemn us each time we fail to live perfectly.

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ!

Rick E. Meyer
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.
www.rickemeyer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment