Sunday, October 2, 2011

Confession

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, forgiving us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him a liar and his word has no place in our lives." (1 Jn. 1:8-10)

Imagine a beautiful, sunny March morning with the temperature rising from the 40s to the 50s. It was such a day during my stay with Uncle LaVerne and Aunt B on their farm while my parents were away for a few days in the mid-1970s.

This particular morning I am to wait by the pick-up while they feed the cattle in the yard by the old cement silo. My waiting includes climbing on a nearby gate of welded “sucker rod,” and sitting in their 1970 something dark green Ford F-100 long box pick-up with manual transmission. I repeatedly push the cigarette lighter in to heat, and remove it once it pops-up after reaching the predetermined temperature.

For some reason, I choose to touch the hot end of the cigarette lighter, yes this decision lacks wisdom. The rapidly moving, ferocious, heated wavelengths of the lighter slap and break my finger’s skin. My finger is mildly burned! The idiocy of my decisions and resulting actions shines as bright as the sun on my conscience. How does one hide a small burn mark on their finger? Other than wearing gloves or putting one’s hand in their pockets the task is impossible. Additionally, these two options are temporary at best.

Uncle LaVerne and Aunt B return to the pick-up, they inquire of my finger’s wound. I am too ashamed of my idiocy, both of playing with the lighter and touching it. I say that the burned occurred from climbing on the iron gate. They are surprised the gate is that hot, and remind me to be careful next time. Certainly, they knew I withheld truth, yet never further challenge me on it. They knew my Holy Spirit convicted conscience provides ample lecturing. They are correct!

Why did I lie? Lying is never justified, always deemed wrong by my parents and relatives. Why is confessing our mistakes frequently difficult? Would you agree at least three primary reasons exist?

1. We are ashamed of our mistakes and want them to go away.
2. We are prideful, thus avoid confessing we messed up.
3. We are concerned of the blame others place on us with our confession.

Yet, the Bible teaches confessing our mistakes-our sins-enables God to forgive our mistakes. God, because of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, forgives our sin when we admit them and our dependence on Christ for our salvation. Furthermore, our forgiven sins are cast as far as the east is from the west; they go away when we admit our mistakes.

Will you, like me, humbly and readily admit your mistakes; readily acknowledging that Jesus is the only one who provides this forgiveness and permanently making them go away? All those filled with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit will also readily forgive your confessed mistakes too.

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ!

Rick E. Meyer
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.
www.rickemeyer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment