Monday, March 11, 2013

Leader Servant: Poor in Spirit





The Sermon on the Mount; The Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-3)

    aWhen Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on bthe 1mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. aHe opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, "1aBlessed are the 2poor in spirit, for btheirs is the kingdom of heaven."



I complete nighttime prayers, I consider watching an online thirty-minute television program. However, an instant, non-audible, distinct voice permeated my conscious mind, "Which do you consider a better investment of your time, television or time in the Bible and prayer with the omniscience, sovereign, triune God (Father, the Son, Lord Jesus Chris, and the Holy Spirit) who created everything (Jn 1:3)—including you, Rick, and reigns above all?"

The necessity of frequent, in-depth conversations with God through reading the Bible and prayer struck like lightning.

This searing lightning obliterates my pride, arrogance, and self-reliance.


Conversely, God's love, mercy, and power provide a poor in spirit heart that recognizes our complete dependence on God and the forgiveness of sins through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Additionally, internalizing the Bible and prayer help reveal God's will in every aspect of your life.

We instinctively pray continuously throughout the day as a result of our relationship with God and our poor in spirit heart. Additionally, God's wisdom leads us to also engage in specific times of only prayer.

The specific responsibilities of each person's daily service to God, vary. Yet, the Great Commission (Mt 28:16-20) applies to each follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. My current responsibilities include diligently studying the Bible word while attaining my Masters of Art in Christian Leadership at Dallas Theological Seminary in Dallas, TX. What do your current responsibilities entail?

My daily responsibility of serving God includes reading thousands of pages, writing hundreds of pages, and committing hundreds of Bible verses to memory every semester. Additionally, I serve God in my business through in speaking across the United States and writing to a global audience, along with competitive distance running.

The latter mandates continual weight loss because excess weight significantly slows one down. In life and running, wisdom suggests we remove excess physical, emotional and spiritual weight to perform at our highest capacities which enable us to serve God to the best of our abilities.

As my parents frequently said throughout my life, "Just do your best." Their command requires great effort and faith. As does my dad's last command, "Always trust God. Remember that son. Trust God Always!

Are you and I achieving our best from watching television or from reading the Bible and praying? Does always trusting God lead us to watch television for thirty minutes or read the Bible and pray for thirty minutes?

I wrapped up a phone conversation this past week asking my mentor what I should focus on this next week.

Charles responded, "Ask, 'Am I anchored in God in every area of my life?'"

These commands, questions, and acknowledging my poor spirit before God, perpetually direct each of my thoughts, words, and actions. How do they affect you? This leads to regularly internalize the Bible and prayer instead of watching an unnecessary sitcom.

Yes, I probably will watch television again. During my twenties, I lived without a television for three or four years while pursuing my running prime. One should never take my choices and messages of tonight as a law or life rule.

Instead, consider your thoughts, actions, and choices in your relationship with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Let your love of God (1Jn 4:19) inspire your desire to serve and please Him to the best of your ability.

Do you trust God enough to seek His wisdom for every area of your life?
Is every area of your life anchored in Christ?
Your response to these inquiries reveals whether your heart is poor in spirit before God.
"When Luther’s puppy [n. 116, Luther's dog Tölpel is mentioned again and again in the Table Talk.] happened to be at the table, looked for a morsel from his master, and watched with open mouth and motionless eyes, he [Martin Luther] said, 'Oh, if I could only pray the way this dog watches the meat! All his thoughts are concentrated on the piece of meat. Otherwise he has no thought, wish, or hope.'"

Luther’s Works, Volume 54, Table Talk (Philadelphia: 1967), pp. 37, 38. May 18, 1532
"1aBlessed are the 2poor in spirit, for btheirs is the kingdom of heaven."

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ by possessing a poor, humble spirit!
Rick

Rick E. Meyer
Running on Faith Ministry, Inc.
www.rickEmeyer.com


a Matt ch 5–7; Luke 6:20–49
b Mark 3:13; Luke 6:17; 9:28; John 6:3, 15
1 Or hill
a Matt 13:35; Acts 8:35; 10:34; 18:14
1 I.e. fortunate or prosperous, and so thr v 11
a Matt 5:3–12; Luke 6:20–23
2 I.e. those who are not spiritually arrogant
b Matt 5:10; 19:14; 25:34; Mark 10:14; Luke 6:20; 22:29f
[1] New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Mt 5:1–3.
1 I.e. fortunate or prosperous, and so thr v 11
a Matt 5:3–12; Luke 6:20–23
2 I.e. those who are not spiritually arrogant
b Matt 5:10; 19:14; 25:34; Mark 10:14; Luke 6:20; 22:29f


No comments:

Post a Comment