Monday, August 3, 2015

Engage People

One of the meaningful events of traveling is meeting and engaging people. This includes listening to the promptings of when to remain silent or succinct.

I asked the shuttle bus driver from the airport a few questions and thoroughly enjoyed listening as he gleefully shared about his 8 kids and numerous grandchildren, then about his military service as he and his dad both served in the Army's 24th Infantry Division. He in Iraq, his dad in Korea. As we neared the hotel, he opened up about his Christian faith and his leading youth in Bible study. Imagine if I had failed to engage him, I would simply see him as a shuttle bus driver eating potato chips. He ate chips because he forgot to bring his left over baby-back-ribs that he grilled at home last night.

While waiting for the elevator at the hotel, a lady in her mid-30s approached pushing a luggage cart. Despite her attempts to appear positive, I sensed something deeper. As anyone would do, I asked a few simple questions inviting her to share without any obligation. She and her husband left Michigan for vacation, during the drive he didn't feel well. Eventually they airlifted him to the hospital three days ago. I asked for their first names and then prayed for them and will keep them on my prayer list.

I am thankful that God placed the opportunity and desire on my heart to engage these wonderful folks. Yes, I am traveling on business, yet as Christians we are on call 24/7 to serve God's people in whatever way He asks. Even if only to engage them for a few brief moments of our lives.

The best service projects are often moment to moment, one on one engagement! For the cause of Christ, who may You and I serve Now?

Rick E. Meyer
Running on Faith Ministry Inc.
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.
www.rickEmeyer.com
214-998-9407

No comments:

Post a Comment