Saturday, January 3, 2009

Patience & Understanding

Proverbs 14:29 - A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered displays folly.

Most of us have heard the old joke, “Lord, give me patience – NOW!”


How do we attain patience?

Why do I occasionally become impatient? My thought process is limited to one or two dimensions. For instance, if I become impatient while waiting for someone, possibly I believe the person I am waiting on does not care enough to be on time. In fact, many realities are possible.

Did they accidentally oversleep? Did someone phone them just before leaving? Was their vehicle slow in starting? Did someone request a project from him or her at the last minute; did they have to make an expected stop? Is traffic moving much slower than normal? Did their previous appointment fit in an extra client to expedite repaying a debt?

Understanding is increasing the knowledge of possible scenarios? Understanding allows patience, allowing us to see beyond our own situation.

One person may attain a job because the previous person accepted another position. Their departure creates a void; another person’s misfortune may create a need. That void and the need may be matches. Yet, few take time to observe and recognize God's hand in this work. One is in shock and crying out to the Lord for an income earning opportunity, while another may be considering and accepting an advancement offer.


I once traveled from Chicago to Manhattan. When I reached Des Moines that March night, rain began fall. Fortunately the temperature remained above freezing. Driving toward Kansas City on I-35, my vehicle believed the speed limit was the lower limit; believing obedience to the law meant staying on the upper side of the speed limit. I was running a 10K race the next morning in Aggieville. Suddenly, in both lanes were semi trucks; breaking the speed limit - they were going under the posted limit. I have not yet convinced a patrolmen of this speed limit view. I was upset at these truck drivers, "Why don't you get out of my way, so I can speed around you?" Within a mile, we passed a couple patrolmen on the prowl for speeders.

I quickly thanked the truck drivers and the good Lord for slowing me down. I escaped receiving a ticket. Was this intentional on the truck drivers behalf? I believe it was, although I will never know for certain. However, I do believe God provided an educational opportunity for me on patience and trusting Him. I was spared what most likely would have been a sizeable ticket. I no longer exceed the speed limit more than 5 MPH; as I have been spared a ticket more times than I deserve. Understanding enhances my patience!

Greater Understanding of how God works in our lives enhances our patience in all of life's endeavors.

What job or business opportunities is Christ creating while you cry aloud to Him?

Understanding provides patience, understanding our Lord hears and answers your prayers.

When you desire patience, request greater understanding.

Make it a Great Day in Christ!
Rick
www.rickemeyer.com


No comments:

Post a Comment