Friday, December 3, 2010

Tilling our Minds


“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.” ~ Henry Ford

As an agronomy, soil and water, student at Kansas State University, one of the required courses was Soil Genesis and Classification; the class was nearly evenly split between graduate and undergraduate students. Throughout the semester, what I referred to as the “regular season,” my course grades were average. I particularly struggled with Soil Classification, the naming of soils based upon physical and chemical properties. I struggled to grasp the full concept; I understood most of classifying a soil, but not all. I understood each component, yet was unable accurately assemble the components into a workable solution. My soil classification homework scores were in the 30% - 40% range; not exactly on the Rhodes Scholar watch list.

This struggle was similar to the time I overhauled a four-barrel carburetor; when the carburetor was back on the vehicle, parts remained in the bucket. Obviously I was much more efficient than Ford Motors. Ha ha!

I continued studying the classification section; as well as the step by step guide separate from the text book. The course final was a 200 point final, with an ‘A,’ I would receive a ‘B’ for an overall course grade. After numerous times of reading the books and course notes, I decided it was time for a run this December evening. I through on my running clothes and shoes; running in a nice cool breeze of approximately -40oF wind-chill. The actual temperature ranged between -25oF and -30oF. Fraternity brothers called me crazy. Whenever I am deemed crazy, and my actions are moral and ethical, I know I am on the right track.

Fortunately, much of my body quickly went numb from the arctic weather conditions. During the little 5-miler my subconscious continued tilling the soil classification material. Sometime in the final mile, mental flood lights illuminated the soil genesis and classification material. This illumination enabled me to identify all of the components and their proper arrangement.

The following day I entered the final exam with confidence, it was the third comprehensive final of the day. As our class of approximately 12 students waited for the professor to arrive, one of girls seeking her Master’s degree proclaimed her self-assessed academic superiority simply because she attained her bachelor’s degree at Penn State. As the comprehensive exam was handed out, we were instructed of the time allotted for completion. By the end of two hours, most others, including the Penn State alumnae, were done; leaving to enjoy Christmas break or prepare for additional finals. During the exam, I thought as deeply as I ever in the class room as I had up to that time. After three hours, only two or three of us remained, the professor ordered pizza roughly 30 minutes later for us to enjoy upon completion. Upon completing the exam and eating pizza with the professor and a couple of classmates, I was as exhausted as finishing a championship race, a mental exhaustion later equaled in international marathons.

A day or two later, I stopped by Throckmorton Hall on the Kansas State University campus; anxious to see my exam results To my delight and surprise I received nearly a perfect score on the comprehensive exam; the highest score in the class. Why did I excel on this exam while struggling during the ‘regular season’ and in other much less demanding courses? I fully engaged my brain; expanding and challenging the depth and breadth of my thinking; fully tilling the course material. Why did I fail to equally engage in other topics, or sooner in this course? As Henry Ford properly assesses, thinking is the hardest of all work!

Conversely, Adolph Hitler once observed that it is the good fortune of rulers that most people do not think.

Are you mentally exhausted after solving a difficult challenge? The deeper, more in-depth, we think the greater the mental energy demand. We can easily rattle off menial ideas off the top of our minds, however deeply tilling into our minds requires great effort! As my friend Kent has stated numerous times, “Rick, you do not apply yourself in the classroom.”

Did you know tilling soil increases exponentially with depth? The same is true with tilling our minds!
  • From Soil Physics text book:
    Depth vs. Effort
    1X 1X
    1.7 2.5X
    2.3X 5X
    3.oX 10X
(I am unable to insert the graph)

Another consideration while view the increased effort to till and think deeply is the energy requirement for a rotary hoe is roughly 2.5X than required to plow an equal depth or volume of soil. Plowing, whether soil or information, is simply turning over the sod or going over the material in a reasonably thorough manner. Whereas a running a rotary hoe breaks up the soil and information into much smaller particles; mixing and understanding the contents. Are we willing to expend the necessary energy to deeply mix and comprehend all that we study, including Christ’s Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding?

Jesus Christ created each of us, with an incredible mind designed to think deeply, mixing and understanding the contents. The required extra effort, disproportionate to increased depth; encourages us to seek Him, seek the Holy Spirit for energy, Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding. Thinking is truly challenging work! Engage your mind, engage your faith.

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ!

Rick E. Meyer
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.
www.rickemeyer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment