Wednesday, December 15, 2010


Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Are you familiar with the term, “Transpiration?” Transpiration is when water, which is brought up by the roots, is released from the plant into the atmosphere; through the plant’s stomata. The stomata cells in plants allow for the release of gasses, including water from the plant. The drier the surrounding air, the greater the rate of transpiration. Similarly, transpiration decreases with greater humidity.

My old Soil Physics book states most crop plants use less than 10% of the water uptake for direct vegetative or grain production. The other 90% to 99% is released into the air surrounding the plant, as well as the entire atmosphere.

Transpired water is water held in the soil profile after getting there either as groundwater, rain or irrigation. The water is drawn up by the plant roots into the plant where a portion is used for photosynthesis, as well enabling the plant to stand up and its leaves to reach out. In drought conditions the atmosphere is asking for more water than the plant is taking in from the soil, the plant protects itself, enter self preservation mode, by curling its leaves and closing its stomata.

Additionally, once the soil water becomes too low; this water is no longer available for uptake into the plant. The plant is deprived of growing, producing and giving to the atmosphere.

Consider God is created everything, using the same Wisdom for all of creation; we are able gain great insight of God in examining his creation. Scripture states that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. This affords us confidence in knowing God’s love, mercy, grace, forgiveness, and laws of creation and the universe are constant; even if they are beyond our comprehension.

We have discussed how Christ the Rock is transformed into our productive soil, and deep, loam soil allows for the best water and nutrient holding capacity. We have visited about our need and benefit of being rooted in the soil, life generating substance, of Christ. What are we able to learn from the plants growing and producing on these soils?

Daily uptake of our Baptismal water through prayer, scripture (The Word), fellowship and worship enables us to stand up and reach out. We, like the plant, should take up enough additional water that we give away 90% of our Spirit Filled enthusiasm, love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness to the world around us. We too, like the plants, begin closing up to the world, enter self preservation mode, giving away less; when demand exceeds uptake. We, like the plants are unable to uptake this water once the water levels are present but too low.

Our ground water is our relationship with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Our rain water is prayer, devotion, and the Word. Our irrigation is worship and fellowship. If our soil water supply lacks, our productivity and generosity will be depleted.

Attain water, uptake water, produce and give. Share the Good News of Jesus Christ this Christmas and all year long!

See Christ, Believe Christ, Achieve with Christ!

Rick E. Meyer
See, Believe, Achieve Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment